Sunday, March 13, 2011

Scramble Sunday

Hey everyone!

I'm having a killer day so far. The weather is great, so I'm sitting out on my balcony porch swing in a hoodie drinking my piping hot (second cup of) green tea and eating frozen blueberries. I know. I know. Two things may have just stood out for you. 1)That I'm drinking a steaming hot thing and eating a frozen thing. Try it, it makes your mouth feel funny/cool, and I swear the temp change enhances the flavors of the food/bev. 2) Freezing fruit destroys the Vitamin C. I'd be concerned except I already had an orange and half an apple today. "But apples don't have much vitamin C." False. Eat the skin, and you'll get plenty :). Oh, and I LOVE frozen blueberries. They are my favorite treat. Much much more than fresh ones. Little sweet packages of icy goodness. YUM.

Last night MKBBF and I decided to go climbing, so the workout didn't happen since climbing pretty much smokes me out of everything I have. I completed a 5.9, 5.9+ (had to sit in the harness on this one for a few seconds to let my forearms/grip recover), a 5.10- and a 5.10. My last route was a 5.10- I'm pretty sure I could have done on fresh forearms, but it was a really crimpy route so I wasn't able to at the time. Anyhow, I got up all other routes without sitting in the harness or falling off the wall. This was the first true 5.10 I've gotten up without resting, so I was pretty stoked about that.

This morning for breakfast I made a scramble with turnip, spinach and sun dried tomatoes. The recipe will be for the totals, even though I have to split it into two pans to cook it because I don't eat egg yolks, and MKBBF does.

Turnip and Spinach Scramble:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium sized turnip (diced)
1/2 large red onion (diced)
3 cups spinach
3 tbsp organic unsulphured sun dried tomatoes (diced)
6 eggs (3 whole eggs for MKBBF, 3 whites for me)
1 tbsp fresh basil or 1/2 tbsp dried basil
Fresh cracked pepper

Heat olive oil for about 30 seconds on medium-high heat. Add turnips (they should sizzle when you add them - if not they will end up greasy) and fry for about 5 minutes until they are brown on all sides. I like mine a bit crunchy so I leave them in longer - if you like yours softer you can add a tbsp of water and put a lid over them. Add onions and sun dried tomatoes and cook until onions are soft and a bit translucent. I buy my sun dried tomatoes without liquid so they are quite hard and require cooking so they aren't so tough to chew. If you are using the ones that come in oil (be careful you are getting JUST tomatoes and organic olive oil and no preservatives!) you can probably skip the step of cooking them and just stir them in at the end. Add spinach, and cook until nearly wilted. Add eggs and scramble until cooked through. Serve topped with basil and pepper to taste.

I'll be doing yesterdays workout a bit later on and will post my scores when I finish.

Then it's off to Buckhead for church with MKBBF and our Sunday routine of dinner at Whole Foods and conversation :). Usually we get dinner before church, but since MKBBF has board review until nearly right before it starts, we've been getting dinner afterward lately. It's nice because we're able to talk about the topic of the service and how to apply it to our lives and futures. Before you go off thinking "boy has SHE changed from the F bomb dropping rebel I used to know", understand that I haven't :) (I just wear different clothes hah). The church we go to is billed as "the church for non-church people", so it's pretty laid back. The messages, while biblically based, are presented in terms of practical application, instead of thee's and thine's and judgement and exclusion and hatred. Pretty awesome.

Hope you all have an awesome day!!

ROCK!

*******UPDATE*******
I don't have any scores to share other than that my avg skipping during the intervals was 35 skips per 20 seconds because I did the 5 pulse pistol challenge and the rope skipping first. I need to get ready for church and head to the grocery store now, so I didn't have time to do the 12 minute Halo of Sweat. I will do it tonight after church while MKBBF studies for boards. Also, I changed up the second half a bit.

I was feeling really good after the first 4 minutes of interval skipping (which was surprising since it is notoriously my least favorite part of any workout), so I did another 4 minutes. I was still feeling great so I did 4 more. 12 minutes of high intensity interval jump roping is a HELL of a lot harder than it sounds hah. Then I did 10 reps of 5 pulse half pistols on each leg, 4 minutes of interval skipping, 10 reps of the half pistols, 4 minutes of interval skipping, and then the last 10 reps of half pistols on each leg. I can't even describe how much sweat is going on right now. I am actually going to have to invest in one of those cheesy sweat bands for my head if I continue with this interval skipping. There was sweat in my eyes, and let me tell you, jumping rope with your eyes closed to finish up the work interval is NOT fun, and is surprisingly disorienting.

Anyway, look for update 2 later :).

*******UPDATE 2*******
Just finished revisiting the Halo of Sweat workout. All in all I improved a lot, although there was one section in particular that I just didn't do nearly as many reps of as last time. I'm attributing it to two things: 1) my form this time was a lot better - the exercise was much much more difficult when the knee raise was completed with the supporting leg in a deep squat as prescribed and 2) I did 30 5pulse half pistols on each leg already today so maybe my thighs were just shot.

Anyway, here were my scores (old scores in parentheses)
Sumo Jump Knee Up 12/10/9 = 31 (12/13/11 = 35)
Sumo Pulse Calve Raise 22/22/20 = 64 (16/20/17 = 53)
Reptile on the run 43/26/25 = 94 (35/30/30 = 95)
Reptile Push Up 6/5/6 = 17 (6/5/6 = 17) **These are supposed to be SUPER slow, so number of reps kind of irrelevant
Knee Hugs 27/21/21 = 69 (18/13/15 = 46)
Ab Burn Out 38/42/42 = 122 (32/32/32 = 96)

No comments:

Post a Comment