Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday is a beginning not an end!

Hey everyone! So today's little lesson is that Friday is a beginning not an end. It's the beginning of the weekend, not the end of a (long, tiring, boring, other blah adjectives) week. It is an opportunity to capitalize on the momentum you've built up working out during the week to start the weekend right. Those squats yesterday fried me up down left right and center, so today is a one workout day followed by a short mini challenge.

I am also going to do 15 1 minute intervals of jumping after BOTH workouts today - it's the momentum building I was talking about before. I'm going to do it like I did yesterday.

1 min shadow jump roping
1 min high knees
1 min alternating one footed jumping (10 hops one leg 10 hops other etc)
1 min shadow jump roping
1 min jumping jacks
x 3 rounds.

Workout 1: Beach Workout - ~20 minutes

Workout 2: 100 push ups for time. Do as many "regular" as you can - and if you can't continue at a pace to maintain the intensity, switch to knee push ups.

Pick one or do both, but make sure you do your jumping afterward! If you do one workout - do the full 20 minutes of jumping :) (4 rounds). The intervals I wrote above are a bit tougher but less annoying than jumping rope. I find tripping over the rope one I've gotten into a good rhythm to be an Achilles heel for my patience. Once I do it twice or three times I want to throw the rope handles into the wall and watch them smash into fifty pieces. So I'll take the physically demanding option vs. the stress spiking option any day :).

Rock!

*******UPDATE*******

So there's a voice that pops up occasionally that tells me "do it later, you can do it later" and puts it off and puts if off and builds static inertia of my butt on my desk chair to a point where it seems that I can't fight it. I/We BodyRockers call him Brutus. He almost won today. Almost. More on this bastard later.

I went to an awesome talk by Dr. James Chestnut D.C. and got re-inspired to feed my body the exercise it needs. So I got home - and the clock said 9:15PM. And I had yet to do either workout. What to do? Do an epic mind body battle to the end combination of both workouts. So I did the first workout, then 15 minutes of jumping, then immediately into 100 push ups, and 15 more minutes of jumping. I have to say, I was ANNIHILATED after both of the workouts - so I was more concerned about not stopping, keeping the rhythm, catching night time under my toes, and moving my arms all the time. Less concerned about doing the prescribed intervals.

My scores for the workouts were:
Tabata Jump Squats
1) 13,12,11,10,10,10,10,10
2) 12,11,10,10,10,10,10,10
3) 11,10,10,10,10,10,10,10

Total time for workout 1: 29:15.

I did the lunges with knee up with a 25 lb plate, but you could use a duffel bag full of rice or canned goods - whatever you like - just something mild/moderately heavy that is a challenge but doesn't cause you to lose your balance or sacrifice form.

100 push-up challenge time: 5:44
All push-ups military. HUZZAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment