Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Goal AchievemenTuesday!

Hey everybody!

I am writing this a bit late in the day because I was hoping I'd get to make this announcement in the main body of the post instead of in the update section. I attempted Angie today.

Let me back up a second for those of you who don't know what Angie is. It's a CrossFit Benchmark workout which involves completing the following exercises in unbroken sets for time. That means you can't move on to the next exercise until you are done with all 100 reps of the one you're in the middle of.

100 pull ups
100 push ups
100 squats
100 sit ups (not crunches)

For time.

This is my second attempt to do this workout. Theoretically I could've opted out and used a band or something for the pull ups the first time, but I chose to do them unmodified and couldn't finish. I did 73 pull ups and by that point my hands had ripped open and my grip was shot. So I moved on. I finished all the other reps of each workout unmodified (ie strict military push ups etc, below parallel squats etc.), and my total time was 38:57. That was back in August or September I believe.

Today? I. FINISHED. ANGIE.

Time: 25:52

So, I finished the workout which before I left incomplete AND shaved THIRTEEN minutes off my time. I can honestly say I owe the ability to do all of this to high intensity interval and Tabata training. No other method I have run across gives the same dual effect of increasing not only explosive power, but also endurance.

Then I did 10 minutes of random stuff to keep my heart rate up:
1 minute Straight Arm Plank Leg Raises (so you're in push up ready position and you flex your butt and lift one straight leg up behind you - put it back down - switch legs - etc)
1 minute shadow roping
1 minute Swimmers
1 minute shadow roping
1 minute Plank Hold
x2 rounds

Then 8 minute abs

Workout of the Day - Redux:
Angie - 100 each pull ups, push ups, squats, sit ups
10 minutes of random intervals and jumping
8 minute abs

Total Time: ~44 minutes.

In other news, I woke up to kisses from MKBBF clad in white button down, torn RedSox hat and well fitting blue jeans. Favorite.

Then we had cereal. MKBBF decided that flaxseeds, banana, and coconut milk sounded like they would make an awesome breakfast. And he was SO right.

MKBBFruit Flaxseed Cereal (all ingredients organic)

3 Tbsp Large Brown Flaxseeds
1/4 Cup Pecans (you can toast these in a skillet for a minute or two or eat raw)
1/2 Cup Blueberries - I used frozen and thawed them - keep the juice
1 Banana (chopped)
1/2 Granny Smith Apple (chopped)
1/3 Cup Coconut Milk (add more if you like it more liquidy - this is a matter of personal preference)

Once we ate breakfast MKBBF had to scram to the clinic at school which meant him changing clothes into more formal attire. He emerged from the closet wearing a black button down, black suit trousers, a blue and red paisley tie and . . . a Levi's denim jacket. I always think the best fashion statements say "Screw you" (as opposed to "I'm desperate for your approval"), and his outfit today was no exception. *swoon*

Alright now I have to go study gluconeogenesis, glycogenesis, and glycogenolysis. I affectionately refer to them as the 3 G's. I have a test tomorrow on them, so I need to get cracking.

ROCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment