Wednesday, February 09, 2011

An Ordinary Week Day at Cocina MKB

Hey everybody! I wanted to share what I ate with you today, since it's not particularly fancy, doesn't involve recipes, and is a pretty good example of typical week day (read: no time) fare around here :).

Breakfast:
Handful of plain pecans
Banana
Organic Buzz Free Coffee (brewed in my awesome Bodum Travel French Press - one of my christmas gifts from MKBBF. He gives the BEST gifts - always so practical, which I adore :) )

Lunch: Happy Plate **
3 boiled eggs - whites only
1/3 avocado sliced
1/2 HUGE grapefruit sliced
2 carrots
Paleo hummus to dip carrots (raw cashews + lemon juice + water ----> Magic Bullet)

Dinner:
Roasted Butternut Squash
Grilled Eggplant (we have a non stick grill pan but you can use a non stick skillet)
Chicken Breast cooked in skillet using water instead of oil

My hope is that anyone that thinks it is quicker to grab something on the go, than it is to eat the food your body was designed to be fueled by, will see otherwise. Nothing is quicker than raw veggies and fruit - which is part of why they're what I eat for my quick meals of the day. I have heard a lot of "well, I don't want to have to cook everyday" push back. The great news is you don't have to! The only things you need to cook are meats. I suggest boiling a dozen eggs at the beginning of the week and eating a couple or three whites on the days you don't feel like cooking. The rest of your intake can come from raw veggies, fruits, and nuts. I realize this sounds ridiculous, but my point here is to illustrate that lack of desire to cook does not preclude a wellness diet, or satisfied hunger.

**Happy Plate = boiled eggs (I eat whites only - the taste of yolk makes my stomach turn- MKBBF likes the whole egg) + 3-4 raw things (1-2 sources of good fat are a must). The name came from the first time it was ever made. MKBBF wanted to handle breakfast one morning, and I needed to crank out my morning BodyRock session before we ate, so it was perfect. I sat down and he put a plate in front of me with a smiley face he made with the food. He put sliced kiwi as one eye, sliced avocado as the other, a small clump of raw almonds for the nose, the egg whites as the hair, and a half a banana for the mouth. And he called it a happy plate - so the name stuck (have I mentioned I love him?? seriously, he's the best.). The fact that eating raw nutrient dense food makes your body happy also is just a sweet side benefit of the name :).

ROCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment